June 22, 2020 by Annabel van Daalen
Three months on from Open Data Day 2020 and the reports are out: from budget data in Indonesia and Uganda to renewable energy data in Germany, Datopian’s mini-grants supported a wealth of open-data events worldwide. Let’s take a look at all 10 projects and what they achieved.
In March of this year, we gave you a snapshot
of what we got up to on the 10th Anniversary of Open Data Day, namely a great project to clean up some Covid-19 data. However, this is not all we achieved during the celebration: just like every year, Datopian awarded some mini-grants to support the facilitation of open data events around the globe.
Open Data Day is an annual celebration of open data organised by Datopian’s sister organisation, the Open Knowledge Foundation (OKF). The event involves the coming together of various organisations collaborating on new solutions to issues facing communities using open data.
This year, a handful of donors awarded mini-grants to 62 events worldwide, 10 of which were supported by Datopian. We are delighted to be able to share the outcome reports of our sponsored events with you – thank you to our friends at OKF for compiling these:
- Creative Commons Bangladesh Chapter – Bringing the benefits of open resources to Bangladesh
- Youths in Technology and Development Uganda – Embracing the FAIR data principles in Uganda
- iWatch Africa – Tracking deforestation in West Africa with satellites and drones
- WikiRate – A climate data sprint in Germany focused on renewable energy
- Open Cities Lab – Creating open air quality data with low-cost sensors in South Africa
- OpenMap Development Tanzania – Open mapping data for development in Tanzania
- Perkumpulan Inisiatif – Analysing open budget data in Indonesia
- 1991 Open Data Incubator – Celebrating open data users in Ukraine
- Kikandwa Rural Communities Development Organization – Raising awareness of budget information in Uganda
- Transparência Hackday Portugal / Open Knowledge Portugal – Hacking, learning and open mapping in Portugal
Want to work with Datopian? We empower government and enterprise to unlock the potential lying dormant in their data through outstanding data management strategy and implementation. Check our website for more information or contact us.
© Datopian (CC Attribution-Sharealike (by-sa)).