We looking for a highly-motivated and experienced individual to work with us as Head of Finance for a small, diverse, and rapidly developing enterprise. You will get to oversee and manage daily activities across functions, and ensure the organization runs smoothly in terms of operations, finances and systems by providing leadership in:
- All financial matters, including budget development, planning & reporting; account management, overseeing payroll, and financial reporting to stakeholders
- Manage a team of 3 members who work in the Ops & Finance team
Ultimately, you’ll ensure our operations and finances run smoothly as an oiled machine. Effective and efficient.
We operate virtually, so you will have the freedom to work from wherever you want (meeting scheduling permitting) as well as to join us at our beautiful base in Bergerac.
Finally, we offer an intentional work environment that will support you to develop personally and professionally and provide an opportunity to reflect on what really matters to you.
Important note: Datopian is run based on self-organization principles and we are currently experimenting with Holacracy.
We are looking for an experienced leader with:
- 5-10 years in Financial Management and strong background and work in Finance
- An analytical and strategic mind with broad knowledge of the business as well as commitment to productivity and compliance
- Good command of written and spoken English.
- Familiarity and comfort with modern digital tools such as email, google docs, google sheets, chat.
What you’ll do
The following will give a flavor of what you’ll do:
- Lead on annual budgeting and planning process as well as on monthly and quarterly financial and managerial reporting processes, incl. assessments and forecasts of financial performance against budget & cash flow, financial and operational goals
- Oversee day to day processing of accounts as well as recurring activities, such as reconciliation, month end and year-end closure procedures, payroll, fulfillment of tax-related requirements, etc.
- Ensure that accounting requests are resolved and communicated in a timely manner to internal and external parties; stakeholder management
- Support the Finance team in effective and efficient P&L and cash flow management
- Ensure thorough financial and accounting documentation
About the engagements
Start date: As soon as feasible
Experience level: 5-10 years of experience in Financial Management or similar leadership role
Rate: Commensurate with ability and experience
Availability: we offer flexible hours. On average we anticipate this requiring an average of 3-4d a week. This role would suit someone with experience who wants the buzz of working for a start-up but also wants to find a role that can easily fit around childcare responsibilities.
Location: Datopian is a remote-first workplace; experience in remote working is desirable (but not essential). We are currently looking for people in European time zones as the Ops & Finance team is based in Europe (we’re happy for people to work elsewhere provided they are available for meetings during European usual working hours).
Company size: 15 – 30
Company type: Self-funded
Datopian is an internationally-distributed team of 25-30 people, led by open-source and open-data veterans. Forked out of Open Knowledge International in 2015, Datopian creates, maintains, and deploys data management technologies for government, enterprise, and the non-profit sector using CKAN, Frictionless Data, and other open-source software.